Premiered in the year 2012, the 4 O’Clock Club is an immensely popular television series for children. It was premiered on the CBBC – the BBC channel aimed at the 4 to 12 year old children. The show has been nominated by BAFTA.
The plot of the 4 O’Clock Club revolves around the two Carter brothers and rap music. Josh Carter is the primary lead. He is a 13 year old, mischievous and confident teenager who attends the Elmsbury High school. He has a fervent desire and dream of becoming a rapping star. There is just one problem. His elder brother, Nathan Carter. Nathan Carter used to be a student of the same school, a decade back. He had the same mischievous persona and rapping addiction. But, his conduct wasn’t received well in the school. He was a disgrace by the time he walked out of Elmsbury High. De-motivated, he opted for teacher training and his first job as an English teacher brought him back to Elmsbury High. He sees his own brother embarking on the same path he had 10 years back and hence tries to prevent him from doing the same. This results in frequent full blown conflicts between the two brothers, in the backdrop of their much beloved rap music.
The main characters
- Josh Carter, as mentioned before, is the main lead who wages a war against his own brother in his desire of becoming a rap star.
- Nathan Carter is Josh’s elder brother, who was once a disgraced student of the Elmsbury High and now teaches English there. The title of the series, 4 O’Clock Club, refers to the post school detention class that is run by Nathan.
- Melanie Poppy is the music teacher at Elmsbury High. Nathan Carter has had a crush on her since the time he joined the school as a teacher.
- Ryan Wood features as one of Josh Carter’s best friends. He is a nerdy, guileless boy who is often manipulated by the more mischievous ones. He is a regular in the detention class.
- Molly Taylor is an extremely loud and quite rude character who is a pupil of the same school. She too is a regular in the detention class.
- Ash Newman is one of Josh’s best friends and a first grade troublemaker. As a result, he ends up in the detention class frequently. Characterized as vain, Ash is also seen to be teasing Ryan constantly.
- Mr Byron is the headmaster of Elmsbury High. He had been disapproving of Nathan when he was a student. He featured as the headmaster only in the first series of the 4 O’Clock Club.
This 4 O’Clock Club series had had its 1st season the in the year 2012, followed by the airing of the second season in the beginning of the year 2013. A third season of this series is in the pipeline. It is due to be released in the year 2014.