OOglies is the creation of two people- Nick Hopkin and Austin Low (creators of OOGlies). The idea jumped out of a bag of googly eyes, which Nick and Austin gave to their team as a source of inspiration. The very next day, their team returned with a bunch of household items wearing plastic eyes. The result was hilarious and so is the idea of such characters. Soon the team started experimenting with sitcom-style scenarios and silly voices, which turned out well. OOglies were born out of a very basic yet a highly visual idea. The base of the act is slapstick comedy topped with creative stories.
Players Behind The Scene – OOglies
Nick and Austin presented their ideas to Anne Gilchrist, CBBC controller. In two weeks, they received the contract of creating 13-part series of OOglies. This stop-motion animation was first aired on 2009, August 10. Every episode being displayed is 15 minutes long. Tim Dann, Shelley Longworth and Peter Dickson have given their voices to the character of the series. Stories here are written by Austin Low, Nick Hopkin and Tim Dann.
A Series of Popular Gags
The episode starts with a silly safety announcement: “Attention all humans. The stunts you are about to witness have been performed by trained OOglies. Under no circumstances should children or silly adults attempt to do any of the actions you see in the programme.” The group of characters appears multiple times with similar gags. It’s fun to see them meet and pull yet another gag.
- The clumsy Melonhead and Playful Grapes - A group playful green grapes are busy in activity (like skipping or sliding) until a heavy watermelon jump in from nowhere and ends up squashing the playing grapes.
- Strawberry Lovers – Two strawberries are in love. They cannot meet each other, as they are standing on different counters. Male lover tries hard and built a spaghetti pool. In desire to get across, he falls and ends up being squashed.
- Boo Potato – A naughty potato lays “traps” for other OOglies to come and watch. When the OOGlies are close to the trap, hiding potato jumps out and scares OOglies with a “BOO!”
- The Cherry-aiders – A Bunch of cherries fly in an air ambulance to help a hurt Cookie OOglie. They wrap him in bandages, creating more trouble for the injured Cookie.
- Mr. Bun and Racey Bacon – A slice of terrified bacon is trying to hide from bun, disguising itself. After its success of escaping from the bun, something bad happens to it in the end (such as being splashed with ketchup or water).
- Stunt Tomato – A daredevil tomato wearing mask and cape tries to perform tricks for three little tomatoes, but ends up squashing himself on the rooftop.
- Lonely Sprout – A sprout tries to befriend other OOglies but ends up failing. He tries to help other OOglies in action, but no one shows interest in him.